Saturday, October 27, 2007

A-maize-ing

Here are a couple of pictures from my recent trip to Sever's Corn Maze. Having never been to a corn maze, I wasn't sure what to expect. I certainly wasn't expecting the giant Corn Pit (think dry kernels, not creamed corn - less of a "Double Dare" challenge and more Chuckie Cheese ball pit).

If you read the rules above, you'll see that one of the rules is "do not bury your head". Although I didn't bury my head, Laura did shovel some kernels into my ear accidentally, so I can attest to the fact that it is easy to get them lodged there. Corn kernels were also found to be lodged in my jeans pocket, cuffs, socks, bra and underwear - don't ask me how. So, you see, I broke the "no removing corn" rule, too.


The maze itself was fun in a laid-back kind of way. It was the first sunny day in weeks (and one of the last nice days before winter) and good weather to be wandering around in a field. Not being from corn country, I didn't realize that corn mazes have themes. This year's them at Sever's was the Wild West and the maze was in the shape of a cowboy on a bucking bronco. Yee-haw!

The highlight of the day for me was the roasted corn from the concession stand, though. By that time, I was ready for some corn that could actually be eaten. The food area also offers the usual kettle corn, bratwurst, and assorted fried things.

Other available activities included a petting zoo, pig races, a pumpkin launcher, and live music.

Due to my procrastination in posting this, I think the corn maze is closed for the season now. I'm sure they will be back next year with an even cooler theme and even faster pigs.

http://www.severscornmaze.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Corn Mazes rock!