Thursday, May 6, 2010

Popcorn Addiction?

*do you recognize this scene?

Lately, I've had a hankering for popcorn - every night after dinner. This only happens every six months or so, thankfully. Although microwave popcorn has its place, I suppose, but it also has weird ingredients that I don't particularly want to eat. Plus the "butter" flavor is so unlike any butter I've ever had; it's not a bad taste, necessarily, but it's certainly not butter-like. I pop my corn in a pan, with oil, the old-fashioned way. I don't want to waste counterspace on an air-popper but wouldn't mind one of those jiffy pop pans that puff up (entertainment AND snack - what more can you ask for? Actually, they didn't work so well, as I recall. I think I burnt myself on the little metal handle AND now that I think about it, didn't it ALWAYS burn?)



Anywho, tonight I tried shaking lots of different spice mixes on top of my regular popcorn fix (and a little butter.) The salt-free garlic and herb was a winner (from McCormick's spices), especially with a liberal shake of rosemary added. Other winners were Penzey's BBQ 3000 and Penzey's Southwest Seasoning. Taco seasoning that comes in the little packets would probably work. I tried hot cocoa mix but it didn't really work so great.


Anyway, here is a link to a tutorial for making your own homemade microwave popcorn, in case you're interested:

http://www.diylife.com/2007/10/15/green-microwave-popcorn/


* this is the laser popcorn scene at the end of "Real Genius", a must-see 80's film starring Val Kilmer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the only acceptable way to make popcorn at home is with several hundred pounds of popcorn wrapped in several mils of aluminum foil and heated up with a laser from space. I like to wash it all down with a soda that I get from the vending machine using precisely measured frozen discs.

All of this is really the best if you share it with your friends and "neighbors" who may or may not live in your closet.

Just sayin'.

Cherish said...

Agreed :)

WorldScott said...

Hello, you will undoubtedly find the following video showing lasers popping popcorn of interest!

http://d.ro/laserpopcorn

Cheers!

-Scott