Thursday, October 11, 2007

PumpkinPalooza!



Just a quick post to show one of the things I've been working on this week - when I really should be painting. I'm trying to improve my carving skills so I can do more complex relief prints. I have to keep muttering, "the carved part is the color of the paper, the carved part is the color of the paper". The technique is opposite from drawing with ink or pencil and I can't seem to get used to it. Anyway, I bought the blank bookmarks at Michael's (50 for about $3). The linoleum to make the print block cost about a buck. Add in the ink (maybe another $5? I bought it a while ago), carving tools (about $10 and you only need to buy them once) and this is a pretty cheap and easy project. After I printed the black outlines, I colored the pumpkins yellow and orange with pencil. The tassel is some embroidery floss I had left over from some other project. That's the nice part about having so much random crap - if you can find it in all the boxes and drawers, of course.

3 comments:

Laura Nelson said...

Printmaking is super cool. True fact. Melanie and I were discussing a potential printmaking endeavor for me today with my suicidal stick figures. Your pumpkins are way more cheerful.

Unknown said...

Awesome bookmarks!

Anonymous said...

Hey, these are awesome. I am really digging them. I also had a lot of trouble with the negative/positive space, so I printed light opaque ink on black paper. That way the parts I carved were the dark parts...the parts I would normally "draw." -Eileen P.