Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Quick Sour Cream Coffee Cake


I adapted this recipe from The Joy of Cooking. The changes I made are to add orange zest and vanilla extract to the batter. I chose not to add the traditional streusel topping because I didn't want something really sweet. Instead I sprinkled some chocolate chunks and dried cherries on top.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp orange zest
Chocolate chunks (optional)
Dried cherries (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9" square baking pan. Whisk together dry ingredients. In separate bowl, beat sour cream, orange zest and eggs together until thoroughly mixed. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix until just smooth. Be careful not to overmix! Spread batter in pan and top with chocolate chunks and cherries. Bake until toothpick comes out clean - about 25 minutes.


2 comments:

Laura Nelson said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This looks so good and is making me hungry for something delicious.

Unknown said...

How are chocolate chunks and dried cherries any less sweet than streusel topping?