Friday, September 9, 2011

Jim's Apple Farm (a.k.a. Minnesota's Largest Candy Store)

Road Trip Time! I got an unexpected 3-day weekend over Labor Day weekend (typically, I never have two weekend days off - that's the food biz, for ya) and may or may not have whined about how, "I never get to go anywhere!" My sister agreed we should get out of town for a day and let me pick our route and destinations.

First on my list of day trips: The Largest Candy Store in Minnesota.

So, True Fact - the largest candy store in Minnesota is called Jim's Apple Farm. Ha! That's probably to trick your parents into taking you there. The kids are all like, "Mom, can we go to this place, Jim's Apple Farm?" and the moms are like, "Sure, I love apples and they are SO healthy." It isn't even really a lie because there are bags of several different kinds of apples right as you walk in the entrance!

Okay, first thing - breeze by those stupid apples so you can get to the good stuff! Just kidding (sort of) but apples are NOT why we are here, right?


Jim's also sells pies that are made on the premises. I didn't try any but they look delicious! I also love the sign below....


Also available are many, many different kinds of soda (or pop, if you are from Minnesota). Many are small and/or regional brands. I got a sarsparilla and a birch beer from a company called Sioux Falls but there ARE tons of different kinds, especially root beer! If I had more money, I would have gotten one of each of the root beers and had a Root beer Tasting party. Next time!









Okay! Now let's check out the candy, right?


Old fashioned candy sticks!

... a lollipop Indian!


Ginger chews in all different flavors!


A shelf of circus cookies!


Ribbon Candy!


They have 56 kinds of licorice. I kinda hate licorice. Sorry, licorice-lovers. You'll have to check it out yourselves. But I did admire the cool licorice pipes below...



They don't just have old-fashioned candy, though. They have tons of gross-out novelty candy to please the kids!

It's gross (shaped like a toilet - REALLY?) and it's sour. Kids will love it! Hopefully it comes in blue flavor and then you have the trifecta!


Meatball bubble gum, anyone?


"Mints" of all flavors - including garlic and corn dogs. Uh.... yum?


I need this gum!


Taffy!

There are tons of other things that I didn't show. Of course there is a whole chocolate section with lots of gourmet flavors. I didn't feature it because you can get most of the brands here in the cities at food co-ops and high end grocery stores. It's convenient to have it all in one place, though!


Jim's also sells tons of puzzles for people who apparently have way more patience that I do (and no cats who just stubbornly sit on the pile of pieces while you're trying to puzzle!)


In addition, there are jams and jellies, gourmet soup and dip mixes, sauces of all kinds, beef jerky, cheese curds, and a variety of other delights.



Jim's Apple Farm is located right off a highway and, as you can see, is a bright yellow barn with a bright yellow fence. You can't miss it! Seriously- if you miss it then you have no business driving and please give me a call when you're going to be out on the road so I can stay home.


Jim's Apple Farm is located between Jordan and Belle Plaine off Highway 169. Here is the actual address:


17365 Johnson Memorial Dr


Jordan, MN 55352


(952) 492-6380

5 comments:

Alex said...

Thank you! That's really good to know about, I should totally go there sometime soon.

Emily said...

Where are the candy cigarettes?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, this place is crazy...I had to slap on my brakes and do a U turn on 169 when I saw a sign that said they sold whoopie pies! It's Minnesota's version of "Wonkaville". However, be warned, they don't take debit or credit cards - only cash and checks (but they do have an ATM).

Anonymous said...

Is the store open labor day

Anonymous said...

What are the store hours?