I made a delicious pumpkin bread that I adapted from this recipe: www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Bread-2
The changes I made are that I cut down on the amount of sugar (it's still plenty sweet) and replaced the cloves with ginger (didn't have any cloves and don't love them). I also sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on the top of each loaf to create a crispy sugary crust. The bread is very light for a pumpkin bread and not too moist. Next time I'll try to make some substitutions for some of the butter and sugar to make it a little healthier but didn't want to change the recipe too much this time.
- 1 cup butter (two sticks), softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (use less if using fresh ginger)
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- Additional cinnamon and sugar for sprinklin on top (optional but delicious)
- Nuts to sprinkle on top (again, optional but delicious)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar in large bowl. Add eggs, mix well. Add the dry ingredients and stir until batter is just moistened (make sure to get all the dry stuff from the bottom incorporated, though). Stir in pumpkin but make sure not to overmix. Pour into two greased loaf pans, sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top (optional) and cook for about 45 minutes to an hour.