- 7 oz heavy cream
- 16 oz Dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz Unsalted butter
- Extract (vanilla or whatever you'd like!), To Taste
- Salt, To Taste
- Cocoa Powder, for coating (optional)
1. Heat cream to a simmer over low heat.
2. Pour cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted.
3. Stir in butter until melted.
4. Stir in extract and salt.
5. Let mixture stand in bowl until it starts to thicken a little.
6. At that point, you can transfer to a piping bag or keep it in the bowl while working with it. You shouldn't need to chill in the fridge unless your kitchen is pretty warm.
7. If you decide to pipe out your ganache, pipe small (2 tsp-ish) mounds onto a sheet of parchment or onto a sheet pan. If you want to scoop from the bowl, use a small spoon and do the same.
8. Once ganache sets pretty firm (doesn't stick to your hands and you can pick it up off your sheet tray, basically), roll each one into a smooth ball between your palms. Wearing plastic gloves is expecially helpful if you have warm hands like I do!
9. Once they are rounded to your satisfaction, coat with cocoa powder by dropping into a bowl of cocoa powder and shaking off excess. Or you can roll them in chopped nuts or whatever you'd like. They keep fine at room temperature, but you can refrigerate them, as well.