Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rainbow Bright


Top o' the mornin' to ya! Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm not in the least bit Irish but I do enjoy the color green, loved the four days I spent in Dublin a million years ago, like cute boys with Irish accents, and love the idea of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
I couldn't resist making these rainbow cupcakes, even though they have been done so many times in blogs all over the place. They are a lot of fun, but take a while to layer all of the different color batters into the cupcake liner. I would recommend using cheap white liners because then the rainbow pattern will show through (for once, those cheapies come in handy! don't waste the pretty, expensive ones you have. Unless you have gold liners, which would be pretty awesome)

I also think it might be a good idea to put the different color batters in ziploc bags with a hole cut in the corner so that you can control the amount of batter in your cupcake liner. I used a spoon and it was somewhat challenging. I also used cake mix and I think a runnier cake batter might work better for these, giving you more even layers.

Above is my cupcake display, each cupcake topped with sprinkles and jelly beans in the appropriate colors. The candy at the end is the gold at the end of my rainbow. Also, I had this sparkly container below so decided that would be my pot o' gold. No ugly black cauldrons for any leprechaun of mine!

No comments: