Monday, April 13, 2009

Magazine Monday - Lemon Layer Cake with Lemon Curd and Mascarpone

For my sister's birthday I made this Lemon Layer Cake from the April 2003 edition of Bon Appetit. You can find the recipe here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Layer-Cake-with-Lemon-Curd-and-Mascarpone-107898

I took some short cuts in that I didn't make my own lemon curd (only because I didn't have enough eggs; it looks pretty easy) and I used half cream cheese/half mascarpone to save a little money.

The recipe was pretty easy over all - just a little fiddly. It gave me a chance to work on my egg separating, egg white whipping, and egg white folding skills.

Next time I would make twice the amount of simple syrup to really soak the layers as they were just a little bit drier than I'd like. The cake isn't the star here, anyway - it's all about the delicious, tangy, fluffy frosting/filling.

One other thing - my frosting gun is still broken so I couldn't do any fancy piping. So, the end result was a little rustic but still tasty.

No comments: