Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye, 2009!


(The pic above is merely a reminder for myself that flowers and green things exist. Stupid winter...why does the new year start in winter, anyway? Should be spring!)

2009 was not such a great year for most people I know (understatement!) so I'm happy to be moving on. It wasn't a terrible year for me, although I did break my arm and get laid off from my corporate gig. Money has been tight but everyone in my family is in relatively good health, employed, and sheltered. I'm not taking any of those things for granted, at this point, and am thankful.
I accomplished quite a few things from my 2009 goals/resolutions list, including:
  • Go camping (only once, though!)
  • Buy a digital camera

  • Pick berries at a u-pick place

  • Grow a windowsill herb garden

  • Volunteer work related to teaching or art (at Articulture, as mentioned, and at Urban Youth Farm last spring)
  • Show art at a coffee shop (no, but at a non-profit gallery instead!)
  • Learn how to can/make jam (learned, but, alas, did not make!)

  • Buy fewer magazines (much improvement but still a problem)

  • Not break any more bones!

There are some things that I'm happy to have done this year that weren't even on my list last January, such as:

  • Lost 20+ pounds through a lower-carb diet and moderate exercise
  • Applied and got accepted to Le Cordon Bleu's Patisserie and Baking program

  • Sold my work, with my sister, at five local art festivals over the past year
  • Paid off one of my credit cards - yay!

No comments: