Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Almond Macarons!

Today was a super exciting day in class - almond macarons! I know these are very trendy right now (although the hoopla has not hit Minnesota yet) and I've wanted to try them for a while. These are very basic - egg whites, white sugar, almond meal or flour, powdered sugar, and a few drops of vanilla. Nonetheless, I've heard that they are a little tricky so I was worried. Mine turned out pretty well - could have risen a little more but they had the frilly "feet" that are the hallmark of the traditional macaron.

I sandwiched some raspberry jam in the middle of mine. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to experiment with some different flavors and colors at some point.

I debated about posting a recipe here (our school recipes are all in weight measurements) but decided not to. There are a million recipes out there on the web.

Here are mine:
Here are a picture of Chef's (look how perfect!):

2 comments:

Emily said...

hey - could i eat these?

Cherish said...

Yes - they're totally gluten free! We'll have to experiment with different flavors!