Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Flourless Chocolate Cake and Lemon Curd

I tried out a new flourless chocolate cake recipe last weekend. As I may have mentioned, my youngest sister is eating gluten-free these days, so I've been trying some new recipes. Most flourless chocolate cakes are very fudgy and dense - which is delicious but not always what you're looking for in a cake. I bought some Gluten Free Baking Mix but realized later (too late!)that I have to buy Xanthum gum (?) in order to make anything. Anyways, in my travels around the internet, I came across this recipe:

http://www.domesticgoddessadventures.blogspot.com/2010/02/flourless-chocolate-cake-with-white.html

The crumb/texture is more like a regular chocolate cake but is still very moist. I decided to forego the white chocolate whipped cream (not a fan of white chocolate), poured chocolate ganache over the top instead and served with whipped cream and raspberry sauce. I don't think anyone would have guessed the "secret" ingredient if I hadn't spilled the beans.

My other project this week was making lemon curd from scratch. I don't know why it took me so long to try this out; I guess I assumed that it must be difficult since the little jars sell for $5 a pop at the store! Anyway, it's super easy and turned out great! The hardest part was saving it to fill these little bouchees made from store-bought puff pastry and not just eating it straight up with a spoon!

I used the recipe here, with the only substitution being that used vanilla sugar (we were out of regular):

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-Curd/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

No comments: