It's shaping up to be a hot weekend for the the first "official" weekend of summer. Here are some things I will be doing around town or things I wish I could do if there were more hours in the day/money in the bank:
- Check out a Saints game (www.saintsbaseball.com)- the theme for Saturday is the 30th Anniversary of "The Jerk"
- Go strawberry picking - most U-Pick places in Minnesota have already opened for business or are opening this weekend (check here for locations: www.farmerdirect2you.com/minnesota-farms)
- Dine Outdoors or Hide Inside - it's going to be a hot one. If you are like most Minnesotans, you'll want to soak up those sunbeams in a fruitless effort to store it up for those -20 degree days in February. So, find one of the million outdoor patios and enjoy a cool drink (I like the Black Forest Inn and Tin Fish on Lake Calhoun). If you're like me, you hate sweating and never remember to wear sunblock; hide inside a nice cool cave like the Chatterbox Pub and play some games. You'll get a good table anywhere inside because everyone is outside sweltering and trying to keep bugs off their food whilst preventing their napkin from blowing away.
- Rent a canoe, kayak, or pedal boat from Wheel Fun Rentals (www.wheelfunrentals.com) and explore the Chain of Lakes or Lake Nokomis. They also rent tandem bikes and such at Minnehaha Park.
- Go see "Up" by Pixar - take your Dad for Father's Day, even. It's a great movie for kids and adults and way better than the commercial/trailer would lead you to believe.