Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Strawberries!

We went strawberry picking last Friday at Lorence's Berry Farm in Northfield. They got a mention in the paper last week, but that isn't why we went to that particular farm. I've driven past that place millions of time on the way to visit my sister. So, I knew I wouldn't get lost, wondering around the countryside trying to find it.

Picking went surprisingly quickly. Two of us picked 14 1/2 pounds in about 45 minutes. They are very organized at Lorence's and had tons of ripe berries for the picking. I actually don't think these are the very best berries I've had, but they are far, far better than the berries found in the grocery store and cheaper, too. Plus, it is nice to see your food growing in a field instead of packaged in plastic :)

Above is a pic of half of our berries. I included the picture below because I thought the red and turquoise looked nice together. We ate some fresh and froze the rest.

No comments: