Friday, July 3, 2009

To Market, To Market........

The Farmer's market on Nicollet Mall is in full swing now. I had plans to meet a friend for lunch and took the earlier train so I would have time to stroll around. The above are garlic scapes. Crazy looking, eh? I made a rockin' pesto using these, a little lemon, some green onion, and some walnuts.
The flowers were all really beautiful but, alas, I am trying to stick to a budget these days.
The same with the sugar snap peas. We share a weekly CSA delivery with a friend, so already have some peas. But they are so good! It never seems like there are enough.
Candyland is always a temptation. Thank God I don't work right on Seventh Street, anymore. I actually was starting to get really hungry at that point, with the actual eating of lunch still at least 45 minutes away. I was very tempted to stop in for some Chicago Mix (cheddar, plain, caramel) popcorn, but........

....decided to go with this cheddar, bacon, and green onion scone by Cocoa & Fig. I haven't noticed them at the market before but all their stuff looked really tasty and the prices were quite affordable.
And finally, I stopped by just to say hello to Mary Tyler Moore. I love it when tourists take their picture with the statue - especially when they throw their hats up in the air a la Mary. I don't know why but it makes me laugh (in a laughing with kind of way, rather than the laughing at way)

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Hi! I have MULTIPLE comments about this post. Number one: I LOVE garlic scapes. I had them in our CSA and made a garlic scape/parsley pesto also; mine, inspired by Dorie Greenspan. Also I have been loving the sugar snap peas and kohlrabi...as pickles thanks to smittenkitchen.com. PS MTM is the best!!! I SOOO wanted to be her when I was little.

Cherish said...

Garlic scapes are awesome! I feel like I've only seen them at the market the last couple years. Where were they before? Did the farmer's just keep them all for themselves.

I often wish that I liked pickles. Pickling seems like fun.