I've seen this cute decorating idea on several blogs lately. It turns out this upside-down witch cupcake is easy to make. You need paper straws, black construction paper and your favorite cupcake. Cut the straw in half (or thirds) and attach a black construction paper witch shoe to each half. You will need to make two slits in the "shoe" so that the middle part is about as wide as the inside of your straw. That way you can just pop the shoes on and stick your straw "legs" into your cupcake.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cocoa (dutch-processed preferred)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Sift/mix dry ingredients (except salt) in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix last six ingredients together until well-combined.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet, a third at a time and mix on low speed until just mixed (no dry spots but it may be somewhat lumpy - that's okay).
5. Fill cupcake cups about half full. Bake 15-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Easy Orange Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 tsp orange extract or orange zest
pinch of salt
1. Cream Butter and 1/3 of powdered sugar until very fluffy.
2. Add salt and orange extract
3. Add remaining sugar or until you get the consistency and flavor that you want. If it gets too thick, add a teaspoon of milk or cream.