Monday, May 17, 2010

Chocolate Cake You Make When ....

.....your fridge is ALMOST bare. Seriously, this cake has NO eggs, NO butter, and NO milk. I haven't been doing a lot of baking at home so we haven't been buying things like butter, milk, or extra eggs (they just end up going bad, sadly). I wanted to make a little snack, though, since we didn't really bake anything today in class (we made puff pastry dough for later use.) Anyway, the leavening in the cake is provided from the chemical reaction between the acid in the vinegar and the alkali in the baking soda.

This cake is nice and moist and tastes great - not too sweet. I also made an icing from sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, and dutch-processed cocoa powder. I didn't measure but just keep adding a little of each until I got a pourable consistency. It will set up pretty quickly once it's poured onto the slightly warm cake.

Here is the recipe I used: http://www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crazy-Cake/Detail.aspx

No comments: