Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mojo Monkey Donuts


From left to right: Raised Donut with Mango Glaze and Coconut Flakes, Carrot Cake Donut, Maple Bacon Bar
 Until recently there has been a dearth of delicious donuts here in the Twin Cities. As a girl who grew up with a Dunkin' Donuts on every block, this was a serious problem. Okay, maybe not a serious problem but definitely a bummer.

My luck changed when I found out that a new donut place was opening almost half way between my house and my parents' place. Sweet! Mojo Monkey Donuts is a cute little place on a not very cute stretch of West 7th Street in St. Paul. They serve coffee and donuts and other delights in a cozy space that was hoppin' when I stopped by on Saturday.

The donuts (doughnuts?) I tried were all delicious! The raised donut is pillowy but not mushy like a Krispy Kreme (sorry Krispy Kreme fans - I like a little more substance and flavor to my donuts). The glazes are just sweet enough but not tooth-achingly so.

Mojo Monkey Donuts has a bunch of different selections - some offered every day, some offered on certain days of the week, and some monthly specials. I was checking out the September menu online (yes, the menu is available online! And there are pictures!) and came across this little gem:

September 15–16: Poached Pear Bismarck

Spiced poached pears make up this creamy pear curd. The Bismarck is topped with honey walnut icing and roasted pears.

Delicious! I will definitely be there - early! Because I hear that they do sell out of some flavors. Early bird gets the donut, dontcha know.

Address:
1169 7th Street West
Saint Paul, MN 55102

Website:
http://www.mojomonkey.biz/index.html



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The donut with the bacon looks so good! -Anne