Sunday, September 2, 2012

State Fair Cupcake: Butter Sculpture

Okay, if you're not a Minnesota resident I'm going to assume butter carving is a foreign concept. Every year the Minnesota Dairy Industry crowns one lucky teenage girl as "Princess Kay of the Milky Way". The princess and her court have their likenesses carved in ninety pound blocks of butter at the fair. Visitors can go to the Dairy Building and view the carving process as the sculptor and subject are on display in a refrigerated glassed-in area.

This cupcake is my homage to the butter heads. Deepest apologies to the current Princess Kay as my "sculpting" skills were truly not up to par. My head looks more like a muppet. I made the head out of marzipan dyed yellow but you could make one out of fondant, of course.

I'm sure you're wondering, "Okay, so what do they do with all those butterheads at the end of the fair?" Here is a good little article about that very dilemma.


No comments: