Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pineapple Rice (a.k.a. Glorified Rice)

 Here's a dessert my mom used to make for us when we were kids. It sounds kind of weird, I guess, but I've seen a similar recipe in some old (60's and 50's) cookbooks under the name "Glorified Rice". Those recipes usually have marshmallows (they were OBSESSED with marshmallows in those old desserts) and sometimes bananas or maraschino cherries (another retro obsession). We didn't add all that extra stuff.

If you like mango sticky rice then you might like this dessert. The rice gives this a nice chew, the pineapple is nice and tangy, and whipped cream is always good. I added sweetened coconut flakes, which is not strictly part of my family recipe, but was delicious!

Pineapple Rice

Combine the following:

1 can crushed pineapple (or tidbits, which is what I used here)
2/3 cup cooked white rice (cooled completely)
1 cup sweetened whipped cream (I added vanilla bean to mine but vanilla extract is good, too)
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes

If you keep covered in the fridge, this is good for 2-3 days. If it gets a little dry (sometimes the rice sort of absorbs some of the liquid) just add more whipped cream.

Yum!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious and very tropical! Love the umbrella~

Emily said...

You should make a cherry or mandarin orange version... because then I could eat it.